Every year Christmas comes around and we, by default, go into a celebratory mood.
How many of you have really cared to find out what led to the starting of these traditions? Do you know how your favorite old man Santa Claus came into being? Why we kiss under the mistletoe? Christmas has been a part of generations which is why you ought to find out 10 things you never knew about Christmas.
Encourage yourself with these diet tips
Healthy hair for the festive season
23 beauty tips
10. It was illegal to celebrate Christmas in England from 1647-1660 as, according to Oliver Cromwell, a Puritan leader, it was immoral to indulge in revelries on a holy day.
9. 'Jingle Bells' was the first song ever broadcast from space. Astronauts Wally Schirra and Tom Stafford smuggled a harmonica and bells aboard and proceeded to sing the song on December 16, 1965.
8. The word Christmas originates from the old English term "Cristes maesse" which means "Christ's Mass".
7. One of the earliest known decorations for the Christmas tree were apples.
6. The Statue of Liberty was reportedly given as a Christmas gift to England by the French. That makes it the world's largest Christmas gift ever.
5. The original Santa Claus was St. Nicholas, a Bishop of Myra who used to distribute sweets and gifts among the poor children.
4. Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer was invented by an American firm in 1938 as a part of its Christmas promotions.
3. 25 December started being celebrated as the birthday of Christ only after AD 440.
2. Before turkey made its way into the Christmas dinner, the tradition was to eat pig's head and mustard.
1. Christmas Carols were introduced to church services by St. Francis of Assisi
We'vw completed 10 things but we can't stop without telling you about the good old custom of hanging stockings, can we? So, here it goes: